Holy Moly! I am exhausted! Last night I begged off work to attend a GTS (earlier referred to as Group Training Session-new name: Group Torture Session!!) What was I thinking asking off work on an evening meant to be no more than 18 degrees out? Geez. So we arrive at Urban Athletics, a store at 92nd and Madison (awsome for running gear, fyi) and find out our team has already taken off to the park a block and a half away. So we check-in, strip our gear and go out. It doesn't feel too cold. At least not yet. When we arrive at the Central Park meeting point there are at least 50 other people!!! Wow. As it turns out there are 190 people running either the San Diego marathon or one other marathon set for summer. Amazing! Even more amazing-50 freezing people prepared to train in the pitch dark! So Coach Ramone, who is from Spain and uses his favorite adjective "freaking" in front of everything, teaches us a move called "Ticki, Ticki." Tikki would have been better, that brings to mind warm weather, beaches and drinks with umbrellas in it. Needless to say that is not at all what "ticki, ticki" means. It entails running like a crazy person, tiny, bouncy steps and quickly swinging arms. We run this bizarre way, back and forth between lampposts. Ok. The lamposts are over 10 blocks apart!!!!!! There is snow on the ground and once you make the first lampost, you turn around into the gusting wind and continue to the opposite one. There is not set number of times you do this. You do it until Coach Ramone says you can, "freaking, stop!" Before I even made it to the first lampost my arches were screaming and my nose dripping down my face like a faucet, and yet, I enjoyed it. Uh oh...did I just say that out loud??? I must be delirious! But the truth is, I did enjoy it. Running with a group of people, talking when you can, and just thinking about where we are what we are doing and what it all means in the end is such an incredible feeling of joy.
After the run (about and hour and a half, mind you) we stretched and returned to Urban Athletics for our things. It was our mentor, Peter's birthday so we had our first official team social! Where do training wannabe athletes go to socialize after a long painful, cold run? You may be thinking, a juice bar, or health food restaurant...Not even close! Reif's Tavern, with $10 pitchers and pizza ordered from the pizza place next door! It was so great! We met Elise and Donna who are running the Alaska marathon and their friend Pete whom they are trying to coerce into swtiching from running the San Diego marathon to running the Alaska marathon! We also got a wonderful opportunity to stand around and really get to know our mentor Peter. He's quite an amazing guy, as are all the folks we are training with and have the amazing opportunity to meet. This journey with its pain, hyperventalations, joy, frustration, snot running, elation, anxiety, leg pain, and happiness has filled my heart with so much love and gratitude. God is good! Well, so is lot of Asprecreme, ibprofen and long hot baths!! Gosh, I hope I can put my heels on the ground before I leave for work. I guess I may have to consider wearing high heels today!
Thursday, March 8, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment