Hi Everyone:
So the training is in full swing, and the fundraising letters and emails are out. I hope you are visiting my blog today because you received one or the other. I want to send out a GREAT big THANK YOU to those of you who heeded the call for your donations without hesitation. It's in recognizing our rich bounty of blessings, that we are able to reach out and give to those who are facing a battle unlike many of us can imagine. Despite the fact that I asked for your help less than 9 months ago and some of you are already generously donating again, has been a powerful lesson in open-heartedness for me. You are a blessing in my life and in the lives of those who will be changed by your generosity.
I understand that it's easy to see me and others involved in this cause who are healthy now and think, "You guys are fine. Why do you still need me to donate?" But each time I have participated with The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's (LLS) Team in Training, I have met someone or heard a story from another about a friend or family member that has recently been diagnosed with a rare form of Leukemia or a loved one who has lost their battle to a common type of Lymphoma. Like I mentioned in my letters and emails, cancer just doesn't wait until next year when it might be more convenient to donate.
In fact, one of my very best friend's Angie, just found out that her 10 year old neice Madison, has been diagnosed with ALL or Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia on Monday, October 15, 2007. Madison was playing Scout in the Canadian Stratford Festival's Production of To Kill A Mockingbird when the symptoms began. Because of her diagnosis she was not able to perform for her last show the Thursday of that week. Something I know she wanted very much to do. As I am sure you can imagine she is an extremely talented, bright young girl with very big dreams for her future. Upon hearing the news of her diagnosis, her first question to her mom was, "does this mean I am not going to make it to Broadway?"
Her chemotherapy has already begun, as it is very important in her case to begin treatment immediately. With medical advancements, subsidized in part by organizations like LLS we know that her cure rate is good. She's being brave, and has decided, just like I did, not to wear a wig. Instead her and Aunt Angie have begun something they are calling "Madison's Hat Drive." In an effort to cover her balding head in the style of strength Angie has reached out the Broadway community for hats to cover her Broadway Bound niece's head and inspire to keep fighting for her dream! The donations you make to my website are going to help ensure children like Madison's dreams come true.
If you know me at all, you know that I too dream of being on Broadway. With my own journey as a survivor I have finally begun to wholeheartedly pursue my dream. Madison has inspired me to work harder, to run harder, to raise the money and fight for my dreams, too. I hope her story inspires you to do the same.
Thanks, again for stopping by to read my newest blog. I promise to fill you in on training stories, and lighter hearted moments of this incredible journey soon. If you haven't had the opportunity to do so yet, please consider taking a moment now and visiting my fundraising website to make a donation at:
http://www.active.com/donate/tntnyc/sblack
Again, and always in deep gratitude for your support,
Shannon
Wednesday, October 24, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment