Friday, December 21, 2007

Running and Volunteering

Hi Again:
I am three weeks from the marathon and life has been insane! Work was wild in the last couple of weeks and another cold has kept me from the running schedule! Achoo! Sniffle. Excuse me. Despite the insanity I am trucking on and running again and best of all??? I have been off this week and I am off next week! BLISS! Well, kind of.. I had planned a week of yoga and quiet time for myself, but that hasn't actually worked out that way. A good friend reminded me just the other day, "tell God your plans, and watch God LAUGH!" Ah, yes. Surrender I think is somewhere in there.

Anyway, I signed up to volunteer in another facet at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. Since becoming a patient-to-patient volunteer I have not been altogehter busy helping. As it turns out, Hodgkin's Lymphoma has such a high cure rate now, that not a lot of people feel they don't need to talk to someone like me who has gone through the treatment. So, feeling a little useless, I thought, I am off work for a couple of weeks, so I will ask if I can help in another way.

As of two weeks ago, I am officially trained to accept and deliver flowers for and to patients! And as of yesterday I have clocked 7 hours on my own taking flowers up and down the slowest elevators in history to in-patients at MSKCC. What an incredible experience! To see children on the pediatric floor whose faces light up at the sight of the bundle of balloons and stuffed teddy bear I bring into them is PURE JOY. One woman who was walking her floor while being administered her chemo, met me at her room where I brought her a huge bouquet of yellow roses, her favorite, from her sister. She introduced herself to me as Mazy. She was all smiles when she saw the flowers were for her. I would much rather deliver flowers to cancer patients during the holidays than sit in deep meditation singing "mama's got the magic of clorox bleach" in my head because I can't find that quiet place in my soul just beyond the logo music of the latest commercial in some yoga class!

Other than that I have been Running! I can honestly say, that when I signed up for my second marathon I did so only because I wanted to participate with TNT again. Not because I had fallen in love with running and couldn't get enough. In fact, I would have to confess that I wondered what I had gotten myself into shortly after the glow of being a part of TNT again started to wear off in September. But now...now I feel differently. I think I actually like running! Did I say that out loud? I think I did. Seriously, once I started to run longer with less pain, I started to feel good! Before, during and after...can you believe it? I am not sure I will do cardio any other way from now on. I still think I need to get my butt to a yoga class now and then or even with some regularity. Other runners have told me that the yoga keeps you flexible and gives your muscles more resiliency. In other words you are in less pain after running 20 miles and going downstairs isn't such a harrowing event. Sure my knees sound like Rice Krispies when I do squats...but they don't hurt, so it can't be that bad. A little snap, krackle, pop can put a hop in your step...or a limp. Heh! Just kidding.

So there you have it. I am running and volunteering and keeping busy as per ususal. Jason and I are spending the holidays in NYC and keeping it on the "downlow" as they say. I thank you, again for taking an interest in what I have been up to. I hope that if you haven't already, that you will consider making a donation to The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society today. Have a warm, joyful, and peaceful holiday and a Happy Healthy New Year! Be sure to stop back for the last minute up-to-date details as I move closer to the big race day.

Lots of love and only the deepest gratitude,
Shannon

DONATE AT:

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gostei muito desse post e seu blog é muito interessante, vou passar por aqui sempre =) Depois dá uma passada lá no meu site, que é sobre o CresceNet, espero que goste. O endereço dele é http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . Um abraço.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the MP3 e MP4, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://mp3-mp4-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Anonymous said...

Hi !.
might , probably very interested to know how one can make real money .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may start to receive yields with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
AimTrust represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with structures everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your chance That`s what you desire!

I feel good, I began to get real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to choose a proper partner who uses your savings in a right way - that`s the AimTrust!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and what I started with was a funny sum of 500 bucks!
It`s easy to start , just click this link http://oxiluvan.fcpages.com/tepuzuba.html
and go! Let`s take this option together to feel the smell of real money

Anonymous said...

Good day, sun shines!
There have been times of troubles when I felt unhappy missing knowledge about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright pessimistic person.
I have never thought that there weren't any need in large starting capital.
Now, I'm happy and lucky , I started take up real income.
It gets down to select a proper companion who uses your money in a right way - that is incorporate it in real deals, parts and divides the profit with me.

You may ask, if there are such firms? I have to answer the truth, YES, there are. Please be informed of one of them:
[url=http://theblogmoney.com] Online investment blog[/url]

Anonymous said...

Glad to greet you, ladies and gentlemen!

For sure you didn’t here about me yet,
friends call me Nikolas.
Generally I’m a social gmabler. recently I take a great interest in online-casino and poker.
Not long time ago I started my own blog, where I describe my virtual adventures.
Probably, it will be interesting for you to find out my particular opinion on famous gambling projects.
Please visit my diary. http://allbestcasino.com I’ll be interested on your opinion..

Anonymous said...

diazepam 10 mg buy valium diazepam online - diazepam 2mg buy online

Anonymous said...

ambien zolpidem zolpidem controlled release generic - ambien maximum daily dosage

Anonymous said...

diazepam online diazepam drug classification - buy valium online no prescription

Anonymous said...

zolpidem generic zolpidem tartrate with no prescription - ambien online no prescription overnight

Anonymous said...

buy diazepam diazepam 10 mg ohne rezept - diazepam online kaufen

Anonymous said...

buy valium online buy valium online c.o.d - buy valium cheap online uk

Anonymous said...

cheap generic ativan order lorazepam online - 1mg lorazepam compared 1 mg xanax

Anonymous said...

buy diazepam online what does valium pills do - diazepam withdrawal fits

Anonymous said...

diazepam illegal buy diazepam online usa - pink diazepam 10mg

Anonymous said...

ativan cost ativan withdrawal heart rate - lorazepam online pharmacy

Anonymous said...

buy ambien online canadian pharmacy ambien no prescription - ambien withdrawal long

Anonymous said...

buy valium without rx where to buy cheap valium - buy generic valium online no prescription

Anonymous said...

buy ambien online generic ambien doesn't work for me - ambien side effects 2011

Anonymous said...

soma online withdrawal symptoms of carisoprodol - buy aura soma bottles london

Anonymous said...

soma carisoprodol buy soma online ship to texas - buy somatropin in canada

Anonymous said...

ambien generic ambien 478 - cheap ambien online no prescription

Anonymous said...

buy valium online valium pills wikipedia - buy cheap valium online in uk

Anonymous said...

buy ambien online ambien on urine drug test - generic drug for ambien